Italian wholewheat spaghetti turkey meatballs
The word spaghetti and meatballs instantly makes me hungry, even if I just ate 😉. The pure combination of tiny meatballs, cooked in tasty tomato sauce and the culmination of whole-wheat spaghetti is like a match made in heaven.
Unlike most traditional Italian spaghetti meatballs recipe this is much healthier. I have modified it a bit and swapped few ingredients, like I used whole-wheat spaghetti, also I used turkey instead of beef or pork, for extra protein and I skipped the cheese altogether.
You can use pork or mix of pork and beef, just make sure it cooks well.
Add two tins of chopped tomatoes, always make sure to read the ingredients while buying, this tin that I buy is 99.8 percent tomatoes and only tomatoes. You can also use fresh tomatoes instead. Fill the empty tins each with half of water and add to the pan.
Add a tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, I bought this from my local Farmers Market, it is 6 years aged in barrels of oak, you can find it here
A handful of fresh chopped basil leaves, I have few pots of fresh herbs growing on my windowsill , it's so handy.
Add chopped fresh basil leaves. Add few more spices like pepper, 1/2 tsp of mixed dried Italian herbs.
In a separate bowl lets get the meatballs ready. Add the 400 grams minced turkey, one egg, breadcrumbs both fresh and dried, garlic mince, handful of more fresh basil leaves, wholewheat flour and seasoning, mix everything well, would recommend getting your hands messy ;)
Make small balls with your hands, grease your palms with a little olive oil so it doesn't stick, makes approximately 28 to 30 balls.
Add a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil into a non stick pan, add the meatballs and fry for about 8 to 10 mins on medium heat until they are nicely brown all over.
Once nice and brown add the meatballs into the sauce, by now the sauce must have reduced a little.Now the gorgeous turkey meatballs sauce is ready.
Doesn't it look delicious?:P serve hot with the spaghetti and the gorgeous sauce you just made ;)
bon appetit! :)
|Prep Time:||1 hour and 30 mins|
- 400 grams of mince turkey
- 1 large corn fed egg
- 100 grams fresh bread crumbs
- 50 grams dried bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp of wholewheat flour
- A big handful of fresh basil or parsley leaves
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried of mixed Italian herbs
- 1/2 dried red chili flakes (more if you like it spicy)
- Pink Himalayan salt for taste
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- One medium onion
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes or plum tomatoes or 4 large fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 clove of garlic
- a big handful of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of mixed dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper for seasoning
For the turkey meatballs -
For the sauce -
- Add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to a nonstick heavy bottom pan, once heated add finely chopped one medium onion and sauté for about 4 to 5 mins until it’s translucent.
- Add a medium chopped carrot and fry for 3 to 4 mins until a bit soft, also add two cloves of finely chopped garlic and sauté for a min or two.
- Add two tins of chopped tomatoes. If adding fresh plum chop them nicely. Fill the empty tins each with half of water and add to the pot.
- Add a tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar.
- A handful of finely chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Add 1/2 tsp of mixed dried Italian herbs, season with fresh ground pepper and pink Himalayan salt.
- Cover the lid and let it cook while you make the meatballs ready.
- In a separate bowl add the minced turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic mince, handful of more fresh basil leaves, wholewheat flour and seasoning, mix everything well.
- Make small balls with your hands, grease your palms with a little olive oil so it doesn't stick, makes approximately 28 to 30 balls.
- Add a tbsp of extra virgin olive oil into a non stick pan, add the meatballs and fry for about 8 to 10 mins on medium heat until they are nicely brown all over.
- Once nice and brown add the meatballs into the sauce, by now the sauce must have reduced a little.
- Cover and cook for about 10 mins more, add a little water if needed.
- While the sauce is almost ready, cook the spaghetti as per the package instructions.
- Serve warm with cooked spaghetti, you can grate some Parmesan on top.